Which Is Better: Student Hall or Private Housing?
There are plenty of options when it comes to student accommodations in Australia. Some are managed by universities. Others are run by private companies, like Student One in Brisbane. Aside from that, there is a fair share of apartments and condominiums available.
But how can you tell which is the better choice for your needs? Well, you can weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself.
Most of the time, those who’ll be entering their first year will be staying here. It’s highly recommended for those who will be living away from home for the first time.
- You can live with other freshmen, which is pretty neat considering you’re all going through this new journey together.
- You don’t have to worry about bills for internet, water, gas, heating, and electricity since they’re all included in the price offered.
- You generally have to pay only once per term and will be reminded of your due date way ahead of schedule.
- You get to pick accommodation based on the amenities offered, like common kitchens, basic or premium student rooms, en-suites, and shared bathrooms.
- You will receive extra support from your university through a Resident Advisor (RA) should the need arise.
- You won’t have to stress yourself out about keeping your room tidy since there will be professional cleaners to handle the job.
- You can just walk or take a bicycle to your class since student halls are located within the university.
- You may have to cash out more than what you expected, depending on the campus or area you’ll be living in.
- You might not get a lot of peace as you can almost expect other residents to not respect personal space or peace.
- You may find that other people have taken a swig from your juice carton or borrowed something of yours without permission.
- You might have a hard time snagging an available unit since a lot of people will want to stay there.
- You won’t be able to choose who you’ll be living with, which can be a pain if you’re sharing a room with someone who’s less than tidy.
Preparing for the exams
Maybe you weren’t able to secure a room in a student hall or perhaps you just want to live more independently. If either is true, this is the perfect student accommodation for you.
- You can take charge as to where exactly you want to stay and with whom you want to be living with.
- You get to take advantage of so many different living options, including luxury condominium units or hipster apartments.
- You won’t have to deal with fire alarm tests, drills, or even early cleaners to wake you up in the mornings.
- You will have more time to spend alone or study without any distractions since there won’t be as many surprise parties filled with booze.
- You can invite people over without having to ask permission from the resident advisor.
- You are spared from the awkward communal areas, especially if you’ll be renting a house or student apartments.
- You may have to budget bus fare and other expenses related to commuting to and from your school as you’ll be living outside the main campus.
- You will have to learn how to manage the bills because you’re going to have to pay those separately from your rent.
- You have to deal directly with your landlord or letting agent for any concerns about your unit including minor renovations.
- You could have an even harder time to find a place that’s within your budget, in a good location, and has all the things you need to survive student life.
- You are going to have to clean up after yourself since there won’t be anyone else to do the dirty work for you.
Both university halls and private accommodations have their advantages and disadvantages.
If you’re still having a hard time deciding where you should stay, why not seek help from a private provider like Student One? The Brisbane accommodation they offer is a middle-ground you can easily fall in love with.
You might be living off-campus but it’s only a short distance from many of the schools in the area. Plus, it enables you to socialise with other students while still getting some private time. This student housing Brisbane offers is a particularly great choice when you’re an exchange student. You might find that it’s a lot more to your taste than either of the options above.