India houses some great tourist destinations. From the North to the South and from the East to the West some serene natural beauty soothes every visitor’s soul. The tourists crowd over the famous destination leaving the less famous ones quite free from the hassle of over-crowding. These places are more peaceful and the beauty fills the souls of the tourists.
One such place is Vythiri. It is located in the Wayanad District of Kerala. The district consists of three Taluks – Mananthavady, Sulthan Bathery, and Vythiri. Vythiri comprises of 18 villages. Some of the famous villages are Chundale, Lakkidi, Meppadi, Kaniyambatte, and Kalpetta. Vythiri is located at an altitude of 1300m above sea level. The pleasant weather and great places make it must visit.
Places to Visit and Things to Do at Vythiri:-
Vythiri is more or less covered with rainforest. It is about 140kms from Ooty. Vythiri is mostly visited for its magnificent rain forest and tree houses. It is absolutely one of the best hill stations in kerala for resorts and a nice place for adventure lovers.
It is also a great destination for visitors seeking a gateway from the everyday hustle of the busy life. The rainforest being the main attraction of Vythiri Taluk there are also some other beautiful places that are worth a visit. Some of the best places to visit in Vythiri Taluk are-
- Meenmutty Falls – It is the highest waterfall in Vythiri. This fall has an excellent view. The waterfall is three-tiered. It has a height of 300 meters. It is located 29km from Kalpetta.
- Suchipara Falls – This fall is another amazing sight for every tourist. The waterfall is three-tiered. It is a great sightseeing spot. Along with the wonderful beauty of the falls Suchipara also offers adventure sorts for the tourists. It offers rock climbing.
- Chembra Peak – It is the highest peak in the Wayanad district and guarantees a picturesque view. The peak is situated at an altitude of 2100 meters above sea level. Many exotic animals and birds can be spotted at this place. The amazing part of this peak is that it has a heart-shaped lake. This peak can be reached by trekking. The trekking route is filled with lush green view and waterfalls. Prior permission must be taken before going on the treks. Trekking guides and tour guides are available for this trekking route.
- Banasura Dam – This dam build across the Karamanathodu river and located around 21km away from Kalpetta village. Made of great chunks of stones and boulders, this dam is a great tourist destination. Tourists can engage themselves in trekking and boating at this dam. There is even a nature park near this site.
- Lakkidi – Lakkidi is a beautiful hill station situated just 5km away from Vythiri. This hill station offers an enhancing experience. Lakkidi even offers some adventure activities that can be enjoyed at a reasonable price.
- Chain Tree – This is a spot where a Ficus tree is bounded by steel chain from everywhere. It is a very famous spot. The chained tree is known as the house of the spirit of Karinthandan. It is famous for the stories of the struggle of important freedom fighters.
How to Reach Vythiri
The town is well connected with roads, airports, and railway. Calicut International Airport is 43 km away from the town. It can also be reached by train. The nearest railway stations are Nilambur Road and Koyilandy. There is also a regular and efficient bus service available for those who are opting for a road journey.
Best Time to Visit
Although Vythiri has soothing and pleasant climate tourists the best time to visit is from October to April.