I’m fresh off a plane from a few days in The Big Easy for the annual Essence Music Festival and all the fun that comes with that. This was my first Essence Fest, heck it was my first time in New Orleans and before headed out, I was hella excited, but also hecka nervous about whether or not Lola would survive the heat and humidity.
After my first day down there I discovered something beautiful: IT WASN’T THAT BAD! The key was water water and more water! This went for both my body and my hair. I always had my trusty pink Kleen Kanteen in hand filled with cool water to make sure I didn’t get dehydrated. For Lola, I’m a firm believer that the best hydration also comes from water (not conditioners or moisturizers). So I made a point of co-washing and styling my hair daily. Because it was so hot, it was kind of nice to leave the hotel with a wet head and it would be dry in a matter of hours.
I traveled down there with my trusty Ouidad travel kit, but then nabbed a couple MIZANI products from the CurlyNikki meet up. I have never used MIZANI before, but was pleasantly surprised! After a couple trial runs that left white residue in my hair, I figured out to apply the MIZANI Moisture Stretch on soaking wet hair then following up with a thin glaze of the MIZANI Curl Set! I’m a fan, I hope to try more of the True Textures line in the future.
I spent my days checking out the various Beauty Suites and Parties doing interviews and street style natural hair photography for NaturallyCurly and got a TON of awesome coverage that you should totally check out! Here are some of the highlights:
- Interviewing CurlyNikki’s husband Gene and getting his perspective on the #naturalhair movement.
- Chatting with the most precious little curly in the world!
- Finally, FINALLY learning how to do a perfect bantu knot from an expert MIZANI stylist
- Discovering one of the most GORGEOUS natural hair styles I’ve ever seen by the one and only Dr. Kari Willams.
- Talking with Lisa Price, creator and founder of Carol’s Daughter
- Enjoying New Orleans beignets and hurricanes with Afrobella and talking with her about summer style trends
- Grooving to MCLyte and working it out to The Wobble at the Motions Style Bar
- Getting up close and personal to photograph Trey Songz, D’Angelo, Goapele, and Mary J. Blige
- SEEING TYRESE ON MY AIRPLANE! :::Sweet ladaaaay…wontcha be my…sweet love for…all of timeeee….:::
Be sure to check out all my pieces over on NC.com, but here’s a few pictures for ya right now!