Detox 2013: The Shopping List
Alright alright alright! The 2 week Detox + Rejuvenation is right around the corner! Over the weekend I’ll be picking up some staples to get me through. As I said, the list of no-no foods is pretty extensive, so rather than opening up your cupboards and getting depressed that it’s all off limits, the key is to be PROACTIVE by shopping in advance so you have the good stuff readily available.
Now before we get to the shopping list, once again, let’s review once again what we’re not going to be enjoying.
The No-No List
- Processed foods or foods with preservatives or ingredients you cannot pronounce, identify or find in a dictionary
- Wheat & other gluten rich grains (including: oats, farro barley, rye, kamut, spelt, triticale, )
- Dairy (except, perhaps, fermented dairy)
- Corn & Soy
- Red Meat
- Nightshade Plants (tomatoes, potatoes, mushrooms, peppers, eggplants)
The Shopping List
Animal Proteins: With no red meat, you gotta think simple and nutrient rich!
- Smoked salmon
- 1 whole chicken
Natural Proteins: one word— BEANS
- Garbanzo beans (canned or dried)
- Black beans (canned or dried)
The Grains: wave buh-bye to breads and pastas (but you’ll see in the recipes to come how we replace them!) and hello to:
- Amaranth (found this on the ‘Tox last year. It’s delightful and versatile!)
- Brown rice
- Wild rice
The Veggies: dive into this list with reckless abandon and buy your favorites! Here are some of mine:
- Spaghetti squash (!!!!!!!)
Fruits: go for the fresh one’s and if they’re dried make sure there’s NO added sugar! Check labels! Again my favorites:
- Dried apricots
- Satsuma tangerines
- Almond milk
- Herbal tea (and lots of it!)
- So. Much. Water.
- Almond butter
So there you have it! I’ll be scooting around town this weekend filling my cupboards to get a start for Monday! Hit up your local markets and join along for the ride….I promise it will be welllllllll worth it!!