Yesterday naturals from all over Northern California came out in full force for TextureTalk- an afternoon of natural hair education and celebration. In partnership with natural hair care brand Beautiful Textures, co-host Karen Byrd of Naturally Beautiful Hair Blog and myself welcomed the huge crowd to the Omni Hotel in San Francisco. The afternoon consisted of mixing and mingling while snacking on an array of fruits and veggies before being treated to a dynamic expert Q&A panel featuring Charlene Bastien, co-founder of Beautiful Textures, Felicia Leatherwood, Beautiful Textures Brand Ambassador and Product Expert, Karen Byrd and myself. The highly informative panel discussion featured insight and wisdom on:
- Corporate hairstyling
- What to look for when purchasing products (and we all learned that Beautiful Textures products actually come with cocktailing instructions to make it fool proof! Very cool!)
- How to prevent fairy knots (smooth a moisturizer over two-strand twists before unraveling, sleep on a satin pillow case or bonnet, and TRIM!)
- How to deal with changes in hair texture with age
- Maintaining a healthy scalp
After the hour-long presentation and panel discussion, 20 attendees received a one-on-one scalp analysis with Felicia while others connected with fellow attendees and shopped the offerings of our fabulous vendors:
- Andy Drew who has a line of stunningly sculptural accessories made from unique materials
- Fatemeh’s Jewelry and Accessories who has a wide variety of earrings and hair jewelry (I even rocked a pair myself!)
- Natural Girls United, which is Karen’s super cool business that offers a line of custom natural hair dolls any girl (or adult!) would be proud to own!
I was thrilled with the turnout, which brought together so many people I hadn’t seen in a long time as well as new friends alike! Everyone was looking super stylish and I was proud to see the NorCal naturalistas step out and represent with fierce natural flyness!
As y’all know, I love getting dolled up for these events (dresses are my weakness). TextureTalk was no different! Here’s what I wore:
Everyone looked fabulous (can we talk about Felicia’s dope red earring!?!) and the event was absolutely wonderful! It has been far far too long since I hosted a Bay Area meet up and I promise another one to come this summer! Thanks to everyone for coming out—it was such a fun time! Huge thanks to my co-host Karen Byrd and our event partner Beautiful Textures for making such a wonderful event come to life! For those of you who couldn’t make it, check out the full gallery to get in on the TextureTalk fun!
Please make sure to sign up for the Bay Area Naturals mailing list: