1. THEY CAME. THEY SWAM. THEY CONQUERED. – People got in the pool! I got in the pool! I mean, I was always planning on getting in the pool, but I know that sometimes there exists this pool/brown person disconnect. “Do you REALLY expect people to get in, Cass?” asked a friend a couple weeks before the party. Then I got a little nervous, then I got a lot nervous, then I resolved to swim and figured people would join me. And they did. Lots of them! And it was a beautiful, beautiful sight to behold!
2. MOMZ IN THE HOUSE – My MOM was there! That’s right, good ol Mamajesty got to check out her first big event planned by yours truly. It was really special to have her there and introduce her to folks. Thanks for swinging through, Mommy Dearest!
3. ALMA MATER REPRESENT – My college buddies from Wash U were there! They are all awesome and talented and doing cool things (such as moving to China, pursuing a PhD, and opening a bar). Even though they may have straight hair they were totally down with supporting the cause and I loved sharing a little bit of the Curly World with them.
And now I realize that I even had a duo of sisters that I’ve known from when we were all in grade school together in Minneapolis!
4. BLOGGERS UNITE – Lots of bloggers and vloggers came that either I’ve met before and wanted to come or that I’ve always wanted to meet, which was super cool! EmpressRi, Afroniquely You, BackToCurly, Taren916, Le Coil, Sheena LaShay, Boutique de Bandeaux, ManeMoves, Essence Street Style, Chescaleigh, CurlyFashionista, and Miss Moon’s Musings were all there just to name a few!
5. SINGING IN THE SHOWER – This woman made my night. Nuf said.
6. PUTTING THE FACES TO THE PRODUCTS – It was super awesome to meet Jane Carter, Dickey of Hair Rules, and Sondriel of Ouidad. I would add Rich Dennis, owner of Shea Moisture, to this list, but we’ve met several times before and it was good to see him nonetheless! It was also a treat to have Karen Tappin of Karen’s Body Beautiful in attendance!
7. PLEASE DON’T STOP THE MUSIC! – No for serious, I wish that the music didn’t get cut because DJ Christian Jae was ON POINT! Loved what he was spinning! Definitely the fitting vibe for the soiree!
8. CURL POWER – The energy of the community in attendance was palpable. You definitely got the sense that this was a truly special event. It makes me think of Captain Planet or something, but to the tune of “with the power our curls combined….”
9. IIIIIII’M COMING OUT – I mentioned this yesterday, but I was thrilled to announce my official joining of the NaturallyCurly fam as Global Editor and it was great to revel in appreciation and congratulations from attendees. Thanks for your support y’all!
10. F.U.N. – It may go without saying, but I had a REALLY fun time! Events should be fun and flow and make people happy. Judging from the smiles on peoples faces, that was definitely achieved with this one. The good news is that there will be more! And probably in your neck of the woods, so stay tuned!